A spanking male Garganey
Bollocks it was windy. I nearly lost my scope twice and had to hold it for dear life. Also picked up 3 Wood Sands for my efforts too. There was no news by 9am from the patch birders in Reculver so I popped up there to give 'em a hand but no one was there!!!
Reculver Towers today - proof I did make the effort - check the date on the jpeg
Cheeky sods. Thought about doing a seawatch but tried pulling a leg out of my tripod and the rubber knobbly bit came off the end which meant the leg was stuck half way down, so I needed a trip to B&Q for pliers and superglue to fix it.
With no news of anything else of interest I deduced the the patch birders in Kent obviously weren't in the mood for it today, so I started to head off home. I was a bit wary, as it was still early, and didnt want to run the risk of missing a late mega such as Eastern Bonellis or Black Lark. I dropped in at Lea Valley for the Savis Warbler, but dipped it. Speaking to a local it had not been heard today, and not surprising as the wind was still blowing a force 10. Had great views of Hobby though.
After this I went up to Bedford for the Temmincks Stint. Got it pretty much straight away, along with Yellow Wag for the year (this one was seriously threatening to become my bogey year bird, after Treecreeper of course, oh and Tawny owl, Pintail and all the other bollox I still need for the year).
Temmincks Stint - note the slightly decurved bill which is a characteristic, plus longer tail than Little Stint
After this, I was well and truly knackered, and with no one elses birds left to tick in a homewardly direction, then homeward bound it was. After having a quick catnap on the outside lane of the M6, I pulled over at Cowley Services for something more substantial, and was home for 5pm, thinking I'm glad I didnt fly to Fair Isle today....2009 Year List 184 BOU


