Monday, 25 May 2009

Two Prats and Job Finally Done

After missing out the previous weekend, it felt like a miracle that the two Pratincoles were still around, so not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth and with a day off on Fri 22nd, my day was planned. Had a lie in and was on the road for 2.30am getting to Grove Ferry for 5.30am, fighting off the deja vu and bad memories of two weeks ago, on the only day the Kentish patch birders failed to turn this bird up.

No sooner had I got out the car, then there were Turtle Doves purring all around, and after about 10 mins I finally saw one in one of the elder trees. I walked down towards the ramp with many Cettis and Sedge Warblers belting out, a big difference to two weeks ago when it was blowing a gale. With nothing from the ramp I checked the other two hides in Grove Ferry and had Avocet and Blackwit for my troubles. I then ventured towards Stodmarsh and aimed for Marsh Hide where it was regularly seen. I had a Reed Warbler on the way, on the boundary, and finally got to the hide about 6am. Had a good scan but apart from Coot, Kingfisher, Lapwing and Mute Swan there was not much about. Panic started to set in as there were no patch birders on site - what would I do? I decided to do another scan and sure enough there was a patch of mud with a Lapwing on, and another brown blob. I got the scope on it, and there it was, the Pratincole - it stood up and walked along the mud for a minute or two, then disappearing behind some vegetation and not to be seen again (by myself anyway until 7am), so after texting RBA, it was time to leave as there was still many people's birds to tick. I reported to RBA that it was there at 6.15am but they never reported it, until the next report at 7.15am. Twats.

Anyway, onwards to Lea Valley for another stab at the Savis Warbler. Got there about 9am with a disconsolate birder saying it had not been heard since 7.30am. Determined to nail it this time I settled in for a long wait. The other birder went and one other turned up. I played the song a few times and after about an hour, we heard it reeling for about 2 minutes on and off, though we did not see it. As the BOALP accep this species on "heard only" a huge sigh of relief flowed through me. Savi's at last and 198 BOU. I texted RBA with a 10am update, but it never came out. Bollox to them!!!

Fortunately we heard it well, as we had been told about other more desperate listers who had not heard it, but seen the aberrant Reed Warbler knocking about and had ticked this as Savi's which is much to the disdain of the Listing Police. It is thought a ruling about this will come out about this soon, via the BOALP monthly email bulletin. To subscribe email: desperatestringers@boalp.com




Great habitat for both Savi's and Reed Warblers

Having boxed this off I had to nip up to Cley to nail the other Prat of the day. So I lit the nitrogen tank and shot up the M11 and A11 and got into Norfolk about midday. On the way I had several text messages from other irate listers, who knew they had missed their chance the previous week...ah well!!!

I thought I would play it cool and try for the Honies at Great Ryburgh, but this did not go to plan as I struggled to find the watchpoint. I finally got there about 1.30pm and with only Hobby and Common Buzzard on the board, and no patch birders present, I decided to sack it and head for Cley. I should have gone to Swanton Novers in hindsight.....

Got to Cley about 2pm and asked a listing type in the visitors centre car park what the latest was. From Daukes hide was the response so off I marched along the track. Then I came up against a party of about 20 school children aged 8-10 years old who seemed to be heading exactly towards that hide. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........!!!!!! I thought, you can't go there!!!! thats my hide today!!!! I marched faster and faster, caught them up and managed to barge past with a few clouts from my tripod legs in the process. That'll teach 'em I thought!!! I finally got to Daukes hide and was relieved to discover that the schoolchildren were going next door, so phew nothing to worry about there. I located the bird after about 10 mins, up in the air. It was flying around continuously for about 15 mins, but eventually landed not too far from the hide, and I managed this record shot:


Collared Pratincole: Cley, 22nd May 2009 - note paler upperparts compared to BWP and more extensive red at base of bill

I drove down to coastguards car park and nailed a Spoonbill on Billys Wash, and by then it was 3pm and decided to do a partial "Black Lark" and take a slow drive back along the north Norfolk coast. I had a celebratory pint of Aspalls in The George at Cley, followed by fishcake and chips at French's in Wells.

A celebratory pint of Aspalls at The George in Cley

Had a supportive text off Dave Western who was musing about doing the same at the weekend, and did the obligatory dip on Golden Pheasant at Wolferton.

All in all not a bad day with the year list at 200BOU and life 386 BOU, another 600 miles on the clock, and last weekends panic attacks firmly put to bed. I was now at peace....