Sunday, 10 May 2009

A Two Tick Day and 650 Mile Thrash

Saturday 2nd May

Well, what a day. Got to Portland for 5.30am for the Collared Fly. Parked up where you were supposed to and tried to set a precedent as no one else had bothered, they were parking in the village where you shouldn't. Anyway, got "on site" about 10 mins later and there were about 10 listers standing on the footpath looking into the garden, doing exactly what we shouldnt be doing. Ah well join the crowd I thought, the more eyes the better. If I went to the field there would be no one there and I would have to find it meself which is toooo much hassle. Any way had it nailed in about 15 minutes, then legged it off for Bonellis on Avalanche Road. Bit of a boring fuckin bird but it needs nailing onto the list, so hopes were high. After about an hour and a half it was obvious it had done one, so off to the car I marched. Walked past the Collared Fly site and the crowd had grown substantially.



As you can see there were a fair few there by 8am. No wonder we are all called weidos by the locals when you've got that fuckin lot staring in your garden....

Anyway it was time to go to Dunge for another miserable looking bird, a Crested Lark. Its a good blocker to get out the way, so it had to be done. Dropped in on Plastic Fantastic on the way past Radipole, but would not dream of putting it on my list as the listing police would have something to say, I'm sure.

I was quoted 4hrs 20 mins to Dunge, but fuck me with the wind behind me I did it in just over 3. Got there about 11 and found about 50 listers chasing the poor bastard all over the shingle. Joined in the fun and over about 3 hours saw it in flight about 15 times and on the deck once.

At 2pm it was time to head back home, so I left, leaving Steve Richards munchin on his crisps. Couldn't be arsed with the Savis in Essex as I'm not year listing this year, as opposed to some out there. Home for 5.30pm, and 650 miles on the clock (sorry polar bears).